Respondents in removal, exclusion or deportation proceedings must appear in front of an Immigration Judge to present their applications for relief from removal.  Respondents can ask an Immigration Judge to grant them permanent residence or other types of relief from removal based on a family relationship, VAWA petition, U visa, or asylum for those who fear going back their country of origin.  The Immigration Judge may also consider cancellation of removal for those who have lived in the US for 10 years, have a child, parent or spouse who is a citizen or permanent resident of the US who would suffer extreme and unusual hardship